Mark 9:38-41 38 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” 39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. 40 For the one who is not against us is for us. 41 For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
1. Study through Mark 9:38-41 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. How do verses 39 and 40 support cooperation among Christian churches of various denominations? Do you tend to resist such ideas? Why or why not?
3. What are some examples of giving a cup of water (verse 41)? How does doing it in Jesus’ name and belonging to Christ further define this good deed? What would it look like to do a “good deed” but not in the name of Jesus—what’s the difference?
4. How can we as a church work with other local churches in order to better reach people with the gospel and love our neighbors? How can you specifically do that as a Community Group?
- Sermon audio mp3 (listen)
- Sermon audio mp3 (download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- CG DISCUSSION universal church unity