2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
- How much of the Scriptures are “breathed out by God” according to verse 16? Should we also consider Paul’s writings “Scripture”? How do 2 Peter 3:16 and 1 Thessalonians 2:13 help clarify?
- What does Paul mean by “breathed out by God” bin verse 16? How does 2 Peter 1:16-21 help clarify? What does the ESV Study Bible note for 2 Timothy 3:16 say and how is that helpful?
- In verse 16, what adjective does Paul use to describe the Scriptures? What is it “profitable” for and what do each of these words mean?
- What does God use His Scriptures to produce in His people, according to verse 17? What are some other words for “complete” and “every”? How do these verses help us understand the sufficiency of Scripture concerning both our justification and sanctification in Jesus Christ?
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube