Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read John 1:14-18 and discuss the following.
1. Study through John 1:14-18 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. What are some pre-conceived notions you have had about the Incarnation, or “The Word became flesh”? How have those thoughts been changed or confirmed?
3. What do we learn about John the Baptist in verse 15 here. What do we learn about John the Baptist’s relationship to Jesus?
JOHN 15:5-11 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.
4. In John 1:17-18 we see that The Son reveals the Father. What does that mean? How has Jesus shown the Father to you in your life?
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- CG DISCUSSION The Grace-Bringer – John 1 14-18
MORE CONTENT FROM ADVENT 2017