2 PETER 1:16-21 16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,” 18 we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
- Who is the “we” in verse 16? What did they “not follow” and what does Peter mean? What did they “make known” and why should their testimony be trusted? How is Jesus described in this verse? In what ways is Jesus “[majestic]”?
- What is Peter writing about in verses 17-18? How does Mark 1:9-11 help clarify? How does Peter describe God the Father? In both verses 17-18 how does Peter describe the delivery of God’s word that was spoken at Jesus’ baptism?
- What is “the prophetic word” Peter is writing about in verse 19? How does Peter compare the “prophetic word” to the “very voice borne from heaven” in verse 18? How should we treat this “prophetic word” and why and until when?
- Read verse 20. What should we know “first of all” concerning the Scriptures? What does Peter mean?
- In verse 21, what does Peter say prophecy of Scripture was not produced by and why is this an important distinction? Who spoke the words? Where did they come from? What does Peter mean “carried along by the Holy Spirit”? *the words “carried along” is a translation of the same Greek word that’s translated “borne” in verses 18-19
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube