Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read Hebrews 9:24-28, 10:11-18 and discuss the following.
1. Study through Hebrews 9:24-28, 10:11-18 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. What do we learn about who Jesus in Hebrews 1:3? What about in Hebrews 2:14? So, the writer having laid out that Jesus is both God and man, what further thing do we learn about Jesus’ identity in Hebrews 9:24?
3. How does Hebrews 9:24 undermine what Rome teaches about our need for a Priest and the Church to be a mediator between us and God? Can you think of any other passages in the Bible that teach the same basic thing as Hebrews 9:24?
4. What is the writer getting at in Hebrews 9:25-26? How does the writer present what Jesus did on the cross? How does this undermine Rome’s teaching about the Mass (specifically what happens with the wine and the bread in Communion)?
5. How does Hebrews 9:27-28 undermine Rome’s teaching on Purgatory?
6. What does the writer say about what Jesus did on the cross in Hebrews 10:11-13? *note the difference between the priests “standing” and Jesus “seated”
Tim Keller writes, “[Though we may not admit it], we still have a profound, inescapable sense that if we were examined we’d be rejected. We have a deep sense that we’ve got to hide our true self or at least control what people know about us.”
7. Can you relate to this quote at all? What does the writer mean in Hebrews 10:14? According to Hebrews 10:15-18, what did Jesus actually accomplish on the cross and how is it good news for those of us who know we’re not good enough?
“If one were to sift thoroughly the Law and the Prophets, he would not find a single word which would not draw and bring us to [Jesus]. . . . Therefore, rightly does Saint Paul say in another passage that he would know nothing except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” – John Calvin
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- SERMON NOTES Solus Christus – Hebrews 9:24-28, 10:11-18
- CG DISCUSSION Solus Christus – Hebrews 9:24-28, 10:11-18