Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read 2 Timothy 3:12-17 and discuss the following.
1. Study through 2 Timothy 3:12-17 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. What does Paul write about about the nature of Scripture in 2 Timothy 3:16? Read 2 Peter 1:20-21. Does Peter seem to believe and write the same thing?
3. Why is Scripture supremely authoritative, over any traditions or words of men?
4. What does it mean to say Scripture is Inerrant? Read Number 23:19. How does this help us understand exactly why Scripture is inerrant?
5. What does it mean to say Scripture is Necessary? Read Jeremiah 17:9-10. How does this help us understand why Scripture is necessary?
6. What does it mean to say Scripture is Sufficient? Read 2 Timothy 3:14-17 again and point out each thing the Word is sufficient to do.
7. What does it mean to say Scripture is Clear? Read 2 Timothy 3:14-15 again and notice what Paul tells Timothy about the clarity of Scripture.
The Scripture alone is supremely authoritative, inerrant, necessary, sufficient, and clear to reveal how sinners are made right with God. And the whole of the Scriptures point to Jesus—the truly authoritative, inerrant, necessary, sufficient, and clear One who saves us by what He’s done in our place.
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- SERMON NOTES sola scriptura – 2 timothy 3 12-17
- CG DISCUSSION sola scriptura – 2 timothy 3 12-17