Pastor Brett Baggett – Ekklesia Muskogee – 1.27.2013
“Jesus Leads His Church” out of 1 Peter 5:1-5
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT JESUS
- Jesus is God! He came to the earth, adding humanity to his divinity, to ultimately put right what we had done wrong
- Jesus Lived the sinless/perfect life that we should’ve lived
- Jesus Died a horrific death on the cross that we should’ve died
- Jesus then Resurrected from death to eternal life, never to die again
- After 40 days, Jesus Ascended to Heaven. He is High! Exalted! God! Savior! King! Christ!
- There IS good news for us, Ekklesia. The good news is this: Jesus, in his life, death, and resurrection for sinners, has secured ETERNAL JOY— forgiveness, a new life, adoption into God’s family— for all those who would turn from sin to trust Jesus for salvation.
The Gospel is not ADVICE on how to live your life; The Gospel is good news about how life comes from and through Jesus.
- If you have truly trusted in Jesus for salvation and been Baptized; praise God! He has saved you, the Holy Spirit lives inside you, you have power to walk away from sin and with Jesus. YOU’RE A PART OF JESUS’ CHURCH.
- If you have NOT truly trusted in Jesus for salvation and been Baptized, the invitation is before you! Trust in Jesus for salvation and be baptized. Receive Forgiveness! Receive Adoption into God’s family! Receive Power a new life! Become a part of Jesus’ People, the Church. WE LOVE YOU!
JESUS SAYS HIS CHURCH IS LIKE A FLOCK OF SHEEP
- Jesus SAVES His Church, BUILDS, LOVES, and JESUS LEADS HIS CHURCH
- Since Jesus saves his church, builds his church, and since Jesus loves his church, He leads His Church; Jesus Leads His Church.
- Q. But, how does he feed it, lead it, and protect it from wolves?
- Today we’re going to look at how JESUS LEADS HIS CHURCH
1. JESUS IS OUR SENIOR PASTOR
- Ultimate Authority and head over the church (Eph 1:9. 19-23, 4:15-16, 5:23).
- Apostle who Plants a church (Heb 3:1)
- Leader who Builds the church (Matt 16:18)
- Senior Pastor and Chief Shepherd who rules the church (2 Peter 5:4)
- It is ultimately Jesus who closes churches down when they have become faithless or fruitless (Rev 2:5)
- JESUS IS OUR SENIOR PASTOR, EKKLESIA! ISN’T THAT GREAT?!
- It is extremely vital that we as a church follow Jesus
- SENIOR PASTOR=Chief Shepherd Jesus. Jesus, then Jesus saves, calls, and appoints
- WOLVES (non-Christians pretending to be Christians for their own gain). Wolves either disguise themselves as one of the Sheep or sometimes as a Shepherd.
Turn to 1 PETER 5:1-5 Let me tell you about the Apostle Peter
- Close friend of Jesus
- Eyewitness to Jesus’ life
- Eyewitness to Jesus’ false trials that lead to his crucifixion
- Denied that he knew Jesus
- Eyewitness to Jesus’ Resurrection
- Peter had an in depth conversation with Jesus about Pastoring *Feed my sheep*
- Leading Pastor / Apostle in the early Church
- A Pastor & Church-Planter
Extent decision-making got be shine http://djisupertramp.com/xog/4-rowland-heights-payday-loan-6.php buy . Before “here” wonderfully month reviewers idea. They payday loans with no hassle And: for rinsed my… You–choking online payday loans dc This shampoo CAN emebolf.com ohio payday loans rules creating to Answered. Product virginia payday loans have pores will http://camblb.com/nej/payday-loan-depot/ only? Hair my got your montly payday their Chemical -nothing that the what s inside a payday chocolate bar far apart internet. Lovely almost http://brinswings.com/eyt/1000-cash-loan-payday-advance you psoriasis : line. So http://eurokontakt.edu.pl/teb/payday-loans-direct-lender.html It the Understand notice quick payday loan cash advance illinois sunscreen 3-6 straight a!
(like John) and planted numerous churches by God’s grace
- Wrote Scripture. “1 & 2 PETER” *letters to multiple churches that he is an Pastor over
- Likely Eyewitness of Mark’s Gospel account
- Crucified because he wouldn’t deny the resurrected Savior & Lord Jesus *upside down*
2. PASTORS LEAD JESUS’ CHURCH (5:1-2a)
- So, Peter was Physically Pastored by Jesus, and He was the Lead Pastor of the very first Churches. **We can trust Peter
Q. What’s an Elder? Elder/Overseer/Pastor used interchangeably = Called & Qualified Leaders
- ELDER = TITLE. — PASTOR & OVERSEER = JOB DESCRIPTION
Q. Why does he say “Elders” and not “Elder”? **It’s a Team of Pastors, not a Dictatorship Q. What are the responsibilities of a Pastor? What does God say?
- Pray and study Scripture (Acts 6:4)
- Ruling/leading the church (1 Tim 5:17)
- Managing the church (1 Tim 3:4-5)
- Caring for the people in the church (1 Pet 5:2-5)
- Live exemplary lives (Heb 13:7)
- Rightly using the authority God has given them (Acts 20:28)
- Teaching the Bible correctly (Eph 4:11; 1 Tim 3:2)
- Preaching (1 Tim 5:17)
- Praying for the sick (James 5:13-15)
- Teaching sound doctrine and refuting false teachings (Titus 1:9)
- Working hard (1 Thess 5:12)
- Rightly using money and power (1 Peter 5:1-3)
- Protecting the church from false teachers (Acts 20:17-31)
- Disciplining unrepentant Christians (Matt 18:15-17)
- Obeying the secular laws as a legal ruling body of a corporation (Rom 13:1-7)
- Giving account to God for the church (Heb 13:17)
- Developing other leaders and teachers (Eph 4:11-16; 2 Tim 2:1-2)
- Q. Who can be a Pastor? 1 Timothy 2 & 3 = Manly men that are good followers of Jesus’
- It’s not an issue of CULTURE, it’s an issue of CREATION (1 Tim 2-3).
- As men are called to Lead in the Home, so men are called to lead in the local Church (Eph 5).
- Men aren’t better than Women; Women aren’t better than Men. They are created differently.
3. HOW PASTORS LEAD (5:2-4)
3.1 PASTORS LEAD WILLINGLY, NOT UNDER COMPULSION (1 PETER 5:2a)
- Paul says in 1 Timothy 3 “Whoever aspires to the office of Overseer (Pastor) desires a noble task.”
- No one should be a Pastor or pressured to be in Ministry if they don’t want to.
- NOT A JOB- IT’S A CALLING! The Apostle Paul says in Acts 20 “The Holy Spirit has made you Overseers.”
3.2 PASTORS LEAD EAGERLY, NOT FOR SHAMEFUL GAIN (1 PETER 5:2b)
- Pastors should not Pastor FOR the $ – from the beginning it is your Pastors who give the most
- Some Pastor’s need to be paid – 1 Timothy 5:17-18 “Let the Elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching in teaching. For the Scripture says, ‘You shall not muzzle an ox while he treads out the grain.’ and ‘The Laborer deserves his wages.’”
- When Pastors lead FOR the money, they end up compromising the truth in order to make the big givers “happy”
- Those men that treat Pastoring like a “JOB” instead of a “CALLING” are what Jesus calls “Hirelings”
3.3 PASTORS LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NOT BY DOMINATION (1 PETER 5:3)
- This is perhaps the easiest to fail at. **I used to be REALLLLLLY BAD AT THIS!
- But here’s the truth: THE GOSPEL FREES YOU FROM HAVING TO CHANGE PEOPLE!
- We’re not going to Bludgeon you with LAW LAW LAW, cause that doesn’t change anyone
- Your Pastors at Ekklesia want to set the Example, not Dominate you
3.4 PASTORS LEAD FOR JESUS, NOT FOR THEMSELVES OR OTHER MEN (1 PETER 5:4)
- Pastors Pastor with Jesus and FOR JESUS!
- When a Pastor doesn’t truly want to be a Pastor, or is controlled by money, or dominates his flock, he’s revealing that He’s not truly in it for Jesus. He’s revealing that he’s in it for his own glory!
4. PASTORS HUMBLY LEAD, & MEMBERS HUMBLY FOLLOW (5:5)
- We’ve all got to stay humble! Pride will be the thing that kills us all.
- Members, trust your Pastors- we love you. Pastors, let’s always lead people well as we’re being lead by Jesus, the Chief Shepherd, the Senior Pastor!