When anyone enters into relationship with God by grace from, and faith in, the person and work of Jesus Christ they are entering into two covenants. The first is to journey with God for the rest of their lives and love Him fully. The second is to journey with His other children in the community of the local church. Your membership in a church is an official recognition of this, and the purposes of the Ekklesia Muskogee Membership Covenant is:
- To join the Spirit in forming an authentic church community that reflects the relationship between the Father, Son & Spirit.
- To clarify the on-going blessings & responsibilities of each member.
- To encourage consistency, accountability and loving gospel-unity within the church family.
- To accomplish God’s call for the EM church family.
This agreement does not imply that you will never fall short of the goals, but that the desire of your heart is to fulfill each of the responsibilities stated to the best of your ability. We trust that your commitment will be a personal blessing to your own journey in Christ, as well a blessing to those around you.
Biblical Facts of Membership
- A numerical record was kept (Acts 2:37-47)
- Records were kept of widows (I Tim. 5:3-16)
- Elections were conducted (Acts 6:1-6)
- Discipline was carried out (Matt. 18:15-20; I Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1)
- Pastors will be held accountable for members (Heb. 13:17)
- There was an awareness of who was a church member (Rom. 16:1-16)
With the help of the Holy Spirit, the church leadership covenants the following
- We covenant to lovingly care for you and to seek your growth in Christ (Heb. 13:17; I Thess. 5:12).
- We covenant to provide teaching, preaching and counsel from the Scriptures (Gal. 6:6; I Tim. 5:17-18).
- We covenant that this teaching will span the whole counsel of God’s Word (Acts 20:27-28).
- We covenant to help you in times of need (Acts 2:42-47, 4:32-35, Jm. 2:14- 17).
- We covenant that your pastors and deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (I Tim. 3:1-13 & 5:17-22, Titus 1:5-9, I Pt. 5:1-4).
- We covenant to pray for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (Jm. 5:14).
- We covenant to be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31).
- We covenant to exercise church discipline when necessary in order to protect you and the rest of the flock from wolves (Matt. 18:15-20; I Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1).
- We covenant to help you become equipped to serve Jesus (Eph. 4:11-13).
- We covenant to seek God’s will for our church community to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28, I Peter 5:1-5).
- We covenant to set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members (1 Co. 11.1, Philip. 3:17, I Tim. 4:12 ).
With the guiding help of the Holy Spirit, I, the undersigned, covenant the following
- I am a Christian who has been saved from my sins and made righteous by the grace of Jesus Christ and his work in my place- namely his life, death, and resurrection. I have been baptized after my coming to faith in Jesus to give testimony of my identification with the body of Christ & obedience to the Scriptures.
- I have read and understood EM’s doctrinal statement and agree to not be divisive to its teaching. I also understand the importance of submission to church leadership and will be diligent to preserve unity and peace (Hebrews 13:7, 17; Ephesians 4:1-3)
- I will endeavor to be ever-increasing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ and commit to regular personal Bible reading, prayer, and fellowship and practice of the other spiritual disciplines. My journey in Christ will be evident through my regular participation in the corporate worship gatherings, and involvement in a community group (Ps. 119:97, Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:23-25, 2 Peter 3:18).
- I will strive to properly manage the resources God has given me, including my time, body, gifts and talents, attitudes, finances and possessions (Eph.5:15-18; Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 4:1-16; Gal 5:22-26; Proverbs 3:9-10). This includes regular giving to EM that is sacrificial and cheerful to fuel the mission of Jesus’ church (2 Corinthians 8 & 9).
- I commit myself to the EM church family and agree to aid in fulfilling its missional purpose to both be and bring the gospel to Muskogee and the world. I commit to being on mission to reach the lost, disciple the saved, and help plant other gospel-centered churches that do the same.
- I commit to using the spiritual gift(s) God has given me for the building up of the church, both at EM and universally (I Pt. 4:10-11; Romans 12:1-8, 1 Cor 12:7-31).
- I covenant to practice the humility and sacrificial attitude of Christ by considering the needs of others (Philippians 2:1-11), not gossiping (Pr. 16:28, Matt.18: 15-17), and seeking spiritual friendships (Pr. 17:17).
- I covenant to have friendly Christian relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ from other churches, but I will not function in leadership or as a member in another church family (Hebrews 13:17).
- I covenant to follow the biblical procedures of church discipline, and submit myself to discipline if the need should ever arise (Matt. 18:15-17, Gal. 6:1-5).
- I covenant to submit to the authority of the Scriptures as the final arbiter on all issues (Psalm 119, 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
God enabling me, I will strive to consider my commitment to this Membership Covenant on a yearly basis. I understand that it is an evaluative tool, as well as an affirmation of my continuing conviction and purpose. My responsibility will be to notify the EM leadership if at any time I can no longer commit to this covenant, or if I have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding EM.
Printed Name _____________________________________________________
Names and Birthdays of Family Members __________________________________
Printed name of Pastor ______________________________________________
Signature of Pastor _________________________________________________