“The greatest act of salvation in the Old Testament was not the Exodus alone.”¹ The Exodus was but the first half of the LORD’s great act of redemption in the Old Testament that foreshadows the gospel of Jesus Christ. The second half of this grand foreshadowing is laid out for us in the book of Joshua.
Joshua tells the story of how the LORD executes his justice toward sin, and yet, at the same time, makes good on his promise to graciously give his people rest.
In simplest terms, the book of Joshua reveals how the LORD gave his people the inheritance—the land—that was promised long ago to Abraham. Exodus cannot be separated from Joshua any more than the cross of Jesus Christ can be separated from his resurrection and future inheritance Christians will receive. And this brings us to an important point:
Make no mistake. The story of Joshua is ultimately about Jesus.
It’s about how he not only set his people free from bondage to sin on the cross, but how he also, in his resurrection and constant intercession, is fighting for them and leading them to the place that was promised—their final inheritance and rest in his presence forever. In light of the Greater Joshua, Jesus, we must make a decision. The same decision Joshua himself presses upon the people of Israel: “Choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served…or the gods…in whose land you dwell.” And with Joshua, may we all by grace through faith say, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15).
SERIES LAYOUT (beginning July 8th, 2018)
1. THE LORD KEEPS HIS PROMISES: Joshua 1:1-18
2. THE LORD SAVES THE UNLIKELY: Joshua 2:1-24
3. THE LORD PARTS THE WATERS AGAIN: Joshua 3:1-17
4. THE LORD IS WORTHY OF REMEMBRANCE: Joshua 4:1–5:15
5. THE LORD BREAKS STRONGHOLDS: Joshua 6:1-27
6. THE LORD IS WORTHY OF PURITY: Joshua 7:1-26
7. THE LORD RENEWS HIS PEOPLE: Joshua 8:1-35
8. THE LORD IS A COUNSELOR: Joshua 9:1-27
9. THE LORD MAKES THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE: Joshua 10:1-43
10. THE LORD DEFEATS HIS ENEMIES: Joshua 11:1–12:24
11. THE LORD GIVES THE LAND FOR A PURPOSE: Joshua 13:1–22:34
12. THE LORD IS WORTHY OF WORSHIP: Joshua 23:1–24:33
JOSHUA STUDY GUIDE – view or download in PDF for free (COMING SOON!)
(to view, click. to save, right click and hit “save as”)
1 Joshua, by Raymond B. Dillard and Tremper Longman III