Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read Acts 2:1-21 and discuss the following.
1. Study through Acts 2:1-21 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. How does Acts 5:1-4 help us see that the Holy Spirit is both a Being, rather than a kind of force, and also God, rather than simply an agent of God?
In Acts 2, Jesus and the Father’s promise is fulfilled: the Holy Spirit descends on Christians, empowering them to go and proclaim the gospel to all nations. We need the Spirit for inner change (Titus 3:4-5), inner strength (Romans 5:5), and outer witness (Acts 1:8).
3. What do each of these mean exactly: inner change, inner strength, outer witness? Don’t hesitate to turn to the above referenced passages for clarity. Which one of these things the Holy Spirit does in and through Christians most stands out to you most and why?
4. Which work of the Holy Spirit in your life do you most forget about and why?
There are some who believe speaking in tongues is the main evidence for receiving the Holy Spirit or being filled with the Holy Spirit. According to the whole counsel of God in the Bible, we believe that is false. Sadly, that error is taught far and wide in our area.
6. What do we see the church doing as soon as they are first filled with the Holy Spirit? Why is the Holy Spirit enabling these Christians to speak in other languages (gk. glossa) here in Acts 2? How should this encourage us today as we live on mission to “make disciples of all nations” (Matt. 28:19-20)?
7. What does the prophecy that the Apostle Peter quotes from the book of Joel tell us about what kind of people will be saved and receive the Holy Spirit? *look at verses 14-21
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- SERMON NOTES Jesus’ life in us
- CG DISCUSSION Jesus’ life in us