What is Church? What constitutes a local Church? What does it look like to be the Church? What is the purpose and mission of the Church? As Christians, we need to look to the Scriptures in order to answer these questions, not merely to our ideas or the traditions of men.
In Matthew 16:18, Jesus said, “I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.”
In this short sentence, we learn three major things: 1) Jesus owns His Church. 2) Jesus wants His Church built a specific way. 3) Jesus will never let His Church be overcome.
Church means “Gathering; Assembly; Called-out ones.” When you see the word “church” in the Bible, it is the Greek word Ekklesia. In the Bible, this word is first used by Jesus in Matthew 16:18 “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” As we begin, it’s incredibly important to understand
The church is not a specific place; it is a people.
And it’s not just any people; it is the people who have been redeemed and reconciled to God because of Jesus’ perfect work on their behalf—His life, death, and resurrection. The church is made up of all those that God has saved by grace through faith in Jesus.
In this 12 week series, we will be looking to the Scriptures in order to see how Jesus wants His Church to be built, and rest in the fact that he will never let anyone or anything overcome it. Come and see.
04. JESUS RECONCILES HIS CHURCH: Ephesians 2:11-22
05. JESUS WORKS THROUGH HIS CHURCH: Romans 12:1-8
06. JESUS LEADS HIS CHURCH: 1 Peter 5:1-5
07. JESUS SERVES HIS CHURCH: Acts 6:1-7
08. JESUS GAVE PREACHING TO HIS CHURCH: 2 Timothy 4:1-5
09. JESUS GAVE BAPTISM TO HIS CHURCH: Romans 6:1-11
10. JESUS GAVE THE LORD’S SUPPER TO HIS CHURCH: Luke 22:14-23
11. JESUS GIVES THROUGH HIS CHURCH: 2 Corinthians 8:9-15; 9:6-9
12. JESUS SENDS HIS CHURCH: Matthew 28:18-20