Mark 7:31-37 31 Then he returned from the region of Tyre and went through Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. 32 And they brought to him a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, and they begged him to lay his hand on him. 33 And taking him aside from the crowd privately, he put his fingers into his ears, and after spitting touched his tongue. 34 And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.” 35 And his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. 36 And Jesus charged them to tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it. 37 And they were astonished beyond measure, saying, “He has done all things well. He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
1. Study through Mark 7:31-37 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. What is surprising about the way Jesus heals the deaf and mute man?
3. Look up Isaiah 35:3-6 and use it to explain the bigger picture Mark wants us to see here.
4. How does this story help us see what it looks like to be a friend of Jesus? List a few things Jesus does for this man that only a true friend would do.
Jesus is the King, Creator, and sovereign Upholder of the universe, yet He came to us in pity and meekness. He came to put away our sin by the sacrifice of Himself so He could be the King that calls us friends.
- Friday, August 19th – BLOOD DRIVE – MUSKOGEE COMMUNITY BLOOD DRIVE CHALLENGE. WHEN? 10:30am-6pm. WHERE? The Martin Luther King Jr. Center just north of the mall. We will be trying to get everyone we can to sign up and donate blood. In addition, we will be setting up a table to serve homemade cookies to everyone who donates. Let Megan Forgey know if you’re willing to serve. Go to https://www.yourbloodinstitute.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/193417 to sign up.
- MEN’S WORKOUT / BIBLE STUDY (second and fourth Mondays of every month from 6–7am) – The Gospel Rescue Mission is hosting a men’s workout and Bible study. Pastor Brett will be there along with every other willing and able man.
- Sermon audio mp3 (listen)
- Sermon audio mp3 (download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- SERMON NOTES how to be friends with God
- CG DISCUSSION how to be friends with God