Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read Exodus chapter 32 and discuss the following.
1. Study through Exodus chapter 32 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. Here in Exodus 32 we see the Israelites look to an idol (the golden calf) instead of the LORD. What are some of the things in our personal lives that make us to put our trust in idols instead the LORD?
3. Read Hebrews 12:1-11. Here we see the LORD discipline His people, is there a time in life you can look back to that your earthly parents disciplined you for the better? Is there a time you look back to that you believe was the LORD’s discipline?
4. Read 1 Peter 1:3-9. What outcome in your life has the LORD’s discipline had? Were you changed by it?
Here in Exodus we see God’s people fleeing from Him, sinning against Him. Turning their backs against the one who had saved them time and time again, but even so God disciplines them instead of unleashing His holy wrath upon them.
Jesus took the wrath of God in place of us, He was burned and ground up like precious gold. He did not drink the cup of a destroyed idol, but the cup of God’s wrath that overflowed towards our sins. We can put our trust in a Great Savior that whatever suffering or discipline God puts us through, it will pull us closer to Christ, make us share in God’s holiness, and ultimately help us finish the race and reach the goal, the salvation of our souls.
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube