8 And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
Luke 2 focuses on the announcement of the birth of Christ. This announcement is a joyful hymn of celebration but also a definition of our biggest need and Christ’s mission on earth. When God shines light into our darkness we are afraid, just like the shepherds. But there’s good news: Jesus came to remove that fear and give us peace with God, ourselves, and one another by grace. Glory to God in the highest!
1. Read through Luke 2 and discuss what stands out to you.
2. Are you struggling with familiarity? Is your brain and heart in a spiritual monotone? How can you slow down this Advent season and personalize your walk with Christ?
3. Where do you see a Glory war raging in your heart and in your life? Why are you tempted to live more for the glory of self than the glory of God?
4. Where are you struggling to find Peace with God, within yourself, and with others? How can you let the peace of Christ rule in you heart? (Colossians 3:15)
5. Pray for one another.
- Sermon audio mp3 (listen)
- Sermon audio mp3 (download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- SERMON NOTES the announcement
- CG DISCUSSION the announcement