Someone pray, asking God to help everyone understand the passage, apply it to our lives, and to love Jesus and love others. Read John 1:19-34 and discuss the following.
1. Study through John 1:19-34 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. What does John the Baptist have to say for himself in John 1:19-34? Though we’re not a Prophet, how can we take our lead from the Baptist?
3 A voice cries:
“In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord;
make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4 Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain.
5 And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” – Isaiah 40:3-5
3. What specific promises are in this passage the Baptist quotes from Isaiah 40?
4. What does the Baptist reveal about who Jesus is?
5. What does it mean that Jesus is “the Lamb of God”? What does it mean that Jesus is “the Son of God”? What does it mean that Jesus “baptizes with the Holy Spirit”?
6. What does the Baptist reveal about what gifts Jesus has come to give us?
7. What does it mean to have your sin taken away?
Here’s why God the Holy Spirit being given to you is the greatest gift you’ll ever receive this side of eternity:
(1) He caused you to be born again (John 3; 6)
(2) He convicts you of sin and righteousness (John 15)
(3) He helps you understand the Bible (1 Corinthians 2)
(4) He worked through the Prophets and Apostles so that we may have a Bible (2 Peter 1)
(5) He makes you know that God loves you (Romans 5)
(6) He sealed you for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4)
(7) He helps you put your sin to death (Romans 8)
(8) He gives you spiritual gifts that you may be useful in serving Jesus and His Church (1 Corinthians 12)
(9)He produces spiritual fruit in you and He makes you more like Jesus (Galatians 5; Romans 15)
(10) He empowers and emboldens you to share the gospel with others (Acts)
(11) He helps us pray (Romans 8)
And a thousand other things we hardly ever think about!
7. Which of these things that God the Holy Spirit does for and in and through us most stand out to you and why?
8. How can we receive these great gifts Jesus bought for us on the cross?
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- SERMON NOTES The Spirit-Bringer – John 1:19-34
- CG DISCUSSION The Spirit-Bringer – John 1 19-34
MORE CONTENT FROM ADVENT 2017